What does "living the simple dream" mean to me?

I always hear people from our generation saying "Ahh, living the dream" when they are doing somthing our of the ordinary - for example: sipping cocktails in a spa of a fancy resort or perhaps they post "living the dream" as the caption beneath a photo of them moving into their new $500,000+ mansion-esque home they have just mortgaged their life away for. At first I was confused by how simple my ambitions were. All I wanted was to live in a caravan and be able to spend as much time enjoying the outdoors with my husband and son, without my husband having to be at work all the time. So for me, this became my simple dream. I find myself having those "Ahh living the dream" moments when I am sitting in a natural hot spring with my husband and son, drinking a beer, ten feet away from a crocodile infested river. Now mine, my husbands and my sons life is all about chasing our simple dream.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Introduction and "About me".

The red line is our trip so far over about an 8 month period
Hi guys (or "no-one" considering no one knows about this blog and I've just made it, lol).

This blog wont be about much specifically it will mostly be about everything and anything to do with my life.

Sometimes I will post weird, seemingly "hippy-esque" posts about positivity and mindfullness. Other times I will post things about domesticity, budgetting and cooking. There will be alot of times when I post about simplifying your life, getting rid of things and downsizing. There will be a heap of stuff about my simple life - living in a caravan with my husband and our three year old son, travelling Australia slowly. Occasionally ill post about my never ending quest to lose weight. Some days I might feel like writing about my pet guinea pig and other days I might feel like writing about my family. Either way - there will be somthing for everyone but everything may not always be "your thing".

A bit about me?

Okie doke;

My name is Mel, I'm 25 years old I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Applied Social Science, to become a counsellor. I live in a caravan with my husband, Brent - whom I have been with for over five years and our three year old son Zac, Oh, and our little guinea pig "Pepper George". We moved into our caravan nearly a year ago after my husbands lost his father and younger brother to a fatal car accident. We realised life was far too short to sit around waiting for the right time to do take this adventure. So far our trip around Australia has been a healing, reaffirming and downright fun experience but we still have alot left to see.

Every day we spend on the road makes us more certain that we never want to give up this lifestyle, so I really cannot see us "settling down" indefinately for a long time. We are currently stopped in Kalgoorlie (central WA) for 6 months to a year to save so we can travel for another 6months (possibly a year) and after only two months of being here we are already super keen to get back on the road and see some more of this beautiful country.

I am a fulltime "Stay at Home Mum" to our little boy, as well as a full time student (via correspondence) I also endeavour to cook everything we eat from scratch and avoid takeaway and eating out as MUCH as possible. My husband workd 7 on 4 off and while he is at work for the seven days he does 84 hours of work. So we are both extremely busy and active. I have recently become an avid budgeter and am trying to "frugalise" our lives as much as possible in an attempt to expand our savings as MUCH as possible (and as fast as possible) in order to extend our time on the road without my husband having to work.

I will include a photo that explains our journey so far which was done in a VERY fast 8 months, so obviously we missed alot and have alot of plans to travel and retravel AND retravel again alot of the same places to see things we missed and to re-explore things we loved. The red line on the image is our trip so far.

My husband and I at Ayers Rock in N.T




Also this link ( http://feelingasfreeasabird.blogspot.com/ ) is for our "travel blog" the blog we updated on our way around Australia. It did however end just before we arrived in Darwin, as the second part of the trip was done extremely quickly so I do have a few updates to add. I will add the rest of the trip from Darwin to Kalgoorlie once I go onto uni holidays and have a bit more time on my hands, until then anyone interested is welcome to go there and read back through the entries and look at the photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment