What does "living the simple dream" mean to me?

I always hear people from our generation saying "Ahh, living the dream" when they are doing somthing our of the ordinary - for example: sipping cocktails in a spa of a fancy resort or perhaps they post "living the dream" as the caption beneath a photo of them moving into their new $500,000+ mansion-esque home they have just mortgaged their life away for. At first I was confused by how simple my ambitions were. All I wanted was to live in a caravan and be able to spend as much time enjoying the outdoors with my husband and son, without my husband having to be at work all the time. So for me, this became my simple dream. I find myself having those "Ahh living the dream" moments when I am sitting in a natural hot spring with my husband and son, drinking a beer, ten feet away from a crocodile infested river. Now mine, my husbands and my sons life is all about chasing our simple dream.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The spirit of Australia.


Our very first sunset on the road (at the start of our trip around Australia with our caravan)

We have wanted to live this way - in a van travelling Australia - for quiet a while before we actually managed to get there. We day dreamed about it, talked about it, planned it, everything. But nothing can truly prepare you for the way you actually feel when you attach that van to the back of your car for the first time and head off into the unknown.

The way the endorphins flow, the way every teensy thing you see, hear and feel brings you intense joy and excitement. It's the kind of therapy no counsellor can provide. It invigorates you and brightens your soul. It makes you experience this deep, intense sense of positivity.

Before we left for our new lifestyle, we have nothing. I'm not exagerating. We slept on a mattress on the floor in a spare room in my brothers home (Zac had his own bedroom and bed). We never purchased anything that might potentially be big enough to "hold us back". We made sure we were ready to leave at any point. Like I said - we lived and breathed this dream of travelling Australia.


A camel, in the wild in outback Australia. Such an unreal sight.

However, when we did it, when our day came... The internal feelings were indescribable (but I'll try to describe them). My husband (whom isnt generally one to blabber on about "Senses" and "feelings", couldnt help but describe the experience as overwhelming. Everything we saw, everything we did seemed to have this second, spiritual presence. We were seeing such beautiful landscapes and interesting historical artifacts but everything touched deeper than our eyes and our brains. The history and culture seeped in deeper.

Nothing can prepare you for the spiritual aspect of travelling this beautiful country. No amount of grocery shopping or mapping can prepare you for the sight of the sun setting over the beach after travelling from Port Augusta (at the bottom of SA) straight up the middle (or "Red centre") of Australia to the opposite side of Australia - Darwin.


One of the first times we looked in every direction and realised there really was nothing and no one nearby.

Your endorphins flow, your heart races, the air feels different, smells different, is different. The sun sets over the waves. The beauty and spirituality of it will stay with you forever but will shock you everytime you feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment